English Muffins are actually fairly easy to make and far better than any store bought ones.
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 small egg whites
- fine cornmeal
1. Prep all your ingredients a head to make sure you have everything you need. In a large bowl pour in your lukewarm ( 110F ) water. Add in the instant yeast, baking soda and 2 cups of bread flour. Mix till smooth.
2. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes uncovered. In the meantime, add the egg white into a separate bowl and beat with an electric mixer.
3. You want the egg whites to become stiff and moist. Once the egg white have formed stiff peaks; add to the dough batter. Using a rubber spatula fold in the egg whites till all the eggs are incorporated into the batter.
4. Start to add in the rest of the flour, a 1/4 cup at a time. After the first 1/4 cup add in the salt and mix. When the mixture becomes to hard to mix in the bowl. Pour out onto a flat surface.
5. Knead the dough for about 5 to 6 minutes till the dough becomes smooth and silky. Add a little oil to a clean bowl and place the kneaded dough into the bowl. Turn over the dough till all sides of the dough are very lightly coated.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk, about 1 hour. Afterwards, pour out the dough onto a flat surface.
7. Press to release some of the air from the dough. Now, using a rolling pin roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thick. Allow the dough to rest for 3 minutes to relax. Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out the circles. Place the cut out pieces onto some cornmeal. When you have left over dough just gather together and cut out a few more circles.
8. Sprinkle the tops of the dough with more cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes.
10. About 5 minutes before you are ready to cook the english muffins turn on your griddle or fry pan to 350F or medium heat. Spray with a little oil spray and once the griddle is hot. Place the muffins on and fry. If you are using a fry pan you may only be able to fry 3-4 at a time.
Fry on one side for about 4 minutes. Then turn over and fry for another 4 minutes. Do this once more to a total of 16 minutes. Allow to cool if you can and enjoy!